Wednesday 29 January 2014

Fat Chick- Pixie Hair

I would first like to introduce you to me, 6 months ago on holiday in Cornwall



I had beautiful long red (dyed) hair and it was nice but I have very thick hair and there is only so much you can take of it at times. It used to take me 30mins just to blow dry my hair! In october I'd had enough and wanted a whole new style and I started researching the one style all the fashion mags say big girls should avoid...the pixie cut!

I don't always consider myself to have a round face- more a heart shaped face, with a double chin as I do have a bit of a pointy chin as you can see in the photo. However I decided to compromise and got myself a short-ish bob to see how I felt having short hair, however I still wanted my pixie.

I also did my research...

1. Pinterest board with ideas of what 'sort' of pixie I wanted. For example I loved Lena Dunhams style with the soft cut and long on the ears and pinned a few things.

2. Blogs! I googled 'fat girls pixie hair' and some fabulous blogs came up from women who were a similar size to me and have taken the plunge and looked stunning. I'd like to recommend brownbettystyle, xovain, xojane,  and particuarly lostinaspotlessmind who has a few posts about getting the chop but her fabulous style was one I brought with me to the hairdressers! I'm totally in the mind set that with the right STYLE of pixie or short hair it can suit anyone.

3. Know what I want to avoid...



It's not to say these styles aren't good but they simply wouldn't have suited me, my hairdresser found it very useful in also knowing what I didn't like as it gave her a bit my guidance and what to avoid. 


So I booked a time to go in and was very nervous prior to my appointment. I made sure my mood board (aka pinterest board lol) was up to date. I also put on makeup, I wanted to ensure that when my hair was cut I'd look as fab as possible! I went to a local hairdressers and also chose a time of day that was quiet- 2pm on a thursday! Plus in the middle of the day meant the hairdresser wasn't rushing and gave me more time. 

One thing I was concerned about was my colour. I had some clearly visible roots coming through when I had longer hair, about 1/2 inch thick. I'm naturally a strawberry blonde and was a little bit worried the short cut would accentuate the difference in colour even more so we decided to just see how it went- and I could always book a colour the day after. 

We spent 5 minutes going through the photos I'd brought, I simply had 3 requirements- Soft cut, long at the ears and heavy on the top. I had this fab picture of Lena Dunham in front of us the whole time as her cut was perfect for what I wanted and had the obligatory cup of tea. The first cut my hairdresser said 'no going back now'. Soon my nerves left me and was replaced by a massive smile the whole way through- I LOVED it! 
I kept telling myself: I'm 24, Hair grows back and you only live once. This was my mantra!! 


So, the obligatory show off photos :)


I'm wearing Elizabeth Arden, Red to wear (£19.50) one of my favourite red lipsticks and I definately have an excuse and the confidence to wear red more often. I'm also wearing Benefit 'Hello Flawless oxygen' foundation in shade Ivory and a lick of Mascara of Benefits BADgal Mascara. 

I've ventured into the realm of hair products also- something I don't go into very much. I've used Bedhead Mega Whip which comes in some cute packaging and gives my hair some lovely texture whilst looking natural and thick. I added it with a spray of L'oreal Elnett hairspray. 

I also should mention the colour. Somehow with shorter hair my roots blend in with my hair and you can barely tell there are any roots at all. Infact the hairdresser and I decided that I must have had most of my dyed hair chopped off and it's nice having my ginger/strawberry blonde hair back :)


So ladies, whatever your size if you want to have a go at short hair I say GO FOR IT. Don't let any fashion magazines tell you what you should have, it's your hair and body :)

3 comments:

  1. It looks fab on you :) Bravo for taking the plunge
    I don't think it's a matter of 'fat girls' vs 'thin girls' when it comes to short hair - it's definitely all about the face shape, and you have quite a slim face so you can pull it off well x
    Mr Joiee The Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great look congrats for being brave.This style looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete